Friday, October 24, 2008

Depression

I thought the title might get a few of you and that you might think I was depressed or something. But that is not the depression I'm thinking about. When I was getting the Halloween pictures out of my closet, this box fell off the shelf and all the contents fell out. I realized as I looked at this shoe box that it was something my mother had saved. Because she had gone through the Depression she became a very frugal lady. She learned to save for the proverbial "rainy day." She saved buttons, yarn, scraps of material and, of course, elastic. I wanted to share these photos as a reminder to us all that we need to become more frugal and as Elder Boyd K. Packer reminded us. We need to "Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." I don't want to appear to be a doom and gloomer, but I do feel that we need to be more careful with what we have been blessed with and to be wise and good stewards. Enough is enough :)This is a senior picture of my mother Edith Eloree Petersen Yeager (Elly) as she graduated high school. I cherish the things that she taught me and the wonderful memories that I have of her and my father.
It is tough to realize that your parents are gone, but as a friend of mine said tonight at the Halloween "Trunk or Treat", she was so thankful to be a member of the Church and to know that when her loved ones pass on they go to a better place. This probably is a little melancholy moment, but I am grateful for that knowledge as well. I look forward to seeing my parents again some day -- but look forward to the wonderful days ahead with my wonderful family.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Grandma Yeager was definitely a good saver. She was so organized too. It definitely didn't seem like she was a pack rat. I LOVE the old picture of her. She looks so tall and beautiful!!! Thanks for the reminder to cut back spending and save more. Not always easy to do but definitely worth it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails